Juvederm After Care Instructions
Most patients have no problems after facial filler treatments. Overall, it is extremely safe with very high satisfaction! Fillers cannot always last as long as desired or improve wrinkles as much as hoped. Fillers do not “get rid” of all your wrinkles. Patients should expect “significant improvement” not complete wrinkle removal. If the patient doesn’t get the results may want, often the answer is more filler. This means purchasing more product. This is really not a problem, extra filler can be safely added shortly after the first treatment or at any time. It usually leads to improved results and increased satisfaction. If extra product is needed to get the desired result, the office strives to give you the best price for the needed filler.
General Care After Fillers:
- Bruising and Swelling – ice as much as you can for the first several days. 20 min. on and 20 min. off – 5 times a day. Extra icing can definitely help.
- Headache Pain or Pain at Injection Site – Tylenol or Motrin usually is all that is required.
- Redness, Welts, and Itching – Benadryl is best. This is available over-the-counter.
- Lumps or Bumps – massage with constant pressure to the area for 2 min. Repeat 4-5 times a day.
- Results – Understand Realistic Results. Additional treatment to require more product and have an additional expense.
Potential Facial Fillers Side Effects:
- Bruising and Swelling – recovering from fillers such as Juvederm usually is extremely easy. Most people have minimal to no bruising and can resume normal activity immediately. Occasionally, someone gets unlucky and gets more bruising. Although disappointing, it is important to understand it will not affect the results of the filler. It just takes time for the bruising to resolve. Makeup can be used to hide the bruising following these procedures.
- Headache or Pain – headache or pain at the injection area also can happen after fillers. This is usually very little and goes away quickly. Dr. Hammond recommends Tylenol or Motrin for this kind of headache or pain.
- Redness, Welts, and Itching – minor redness or welts can occur after filler such as Juvederm. Sometimes it will cause itchiness as well. This is normal and please do not worry. Benadryl is recommended for this problem and symptoms.
- Lumps or Bumps – this sounds scary but is common. Most lumps are just fluid or some bruising from the injection and will get better quickly. If you feel lumpy spots, push on the spot with continual pressure for about 2 min. Repeat this 4-5 times a day. This is called “massage” and helps resolve bruising, swelling, or any lumpiness. In extremely rare cases, a product can be used to dissolve the hyaluronic acid in fillers. This is also easy and works great. It is not very common to need this after cosmetic facial fillers.
- Results – It is extremely important to have realistic expectations with the results of fillers. Most patients are extremely happy with fillers for cheeks, fillers for lips, fillers for folds, and other facial filler uses. However, fillers do not “get rid” of your wrinkles. Patient should expect “significant improvement” not complete wrinkle removal. If the patient doesn’t get the results they want, often the answer is more filler. This means purchasing more product. Some people should be aware that surgery might be a better choice than filler. If the results aren’t as much as they want or desire, a cosmetic facelift procedure or cosmetic eyelid procedure might be another choice or better option. This surgery can really give rejuvenation on a much bigger scale with fillers. Please do not hesitate to ask Dr. Hammond about these procedures.
Fillers are gradually absorbed and don’t always last as long as desired. Fillers last a different amount of time in each individual. Usually they last between 9 and 12 months. How long fillers last is not depended on the doctor, but on how quickly you absorb it. If it is absorbed early, it isn’t bad, just the fact of how quickly your body metabolizes it. In this case it can be disappointing but nothing is wrong. Additional product can be purchased and is usually the answer. It can be safely added at any time and usually gets better results and satisfaction.
If you have any additional concerns after treatment, please don’t hesitate to call our office.